you ship a specimen to CDC, make sure your package will arrive on a weekday
and will not arrive at CDC on the weekend or a federal holiday.
- In emergencies,
call the Epidemiology Branch of the Division of Parasitic Diseases at
(770) 488-7760 to make special arrangements.
- For routine
requests, submit the specimen to the appropriate city, county or state
health department laboratory (see
for processing and examination. That facility will refer specimens
to CDC if necessary.
shows correct labeling and packaging of specimens (http://www.cdc.gov/od/ohs/biosfty/bmbl4/b4acf1.htm).
- If shipping a specimen, please refer to shipping regulations and guidelines
at the following addresses:
for the Safe Transport of Infectious Substances and Diagnostic Specimens,
(World Health Organization)
- The IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations, (International Air Transport
- Title 49 Code of Federal Regulations, Parts 100-185. Hazardous
Materials regulations (Department of Transportation)
- Title 42 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 72. Interstate
shipment of etiologic agents (Department of Health and Human Services)
- Title 42 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 72.6. Additional
requirements for facilities transferring or receiving select agents
(Department of Health and Human Services)
- Biosafety in Microbiological and Biological and Biomedical Laboratories
information about shipping specimens, call the Division of
Parasitic Diseases at (404) 718-4110.